Brig. Gen. Jesse J. Friedel is the Deputy Commander, Fifth Air Force; and Director, Joint Air Component Coordination Element-Japan, Yokota Air Base, Japan. Fifth Air Force conducts joint and bilateral planning and engagements to defend Japan and respond to regional contingencies. Additionally, the Command coordinates joint and bilateral actions and exercises with U.S. Forces, Japan, U.S. Service components, the Japan Self-Defense Force, and other Japanese organizations to strengthen bilateral interoperability. Fifth Air Force exercises administrative authority over U.S. Air Force forces in Japan.
Brig. Gen. Friedel received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in May 1996. He earned his pilot wings from Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, in 1998. Following his transition to the F-16, he served in multiple operational squadrons as an F-16 Mission Commander, Instructor Pilot, Weapons Instructor Pilot, Operational Test & Evaluation Instructor Pilot, and Flight Evaluator. He has commanded at the squadron and wing levels. Prior to his current position, Brig. Gen. Friedel was the 35th Fighter Wing Commander at Misawa AB, Japan.
Brig. Gen. Friedel is a command pilot with more than 2,600 fighter hours and has flown in support of operations Enduring Freedom, Northern Watch, Noble Eagle and Republic of Korea defense obligations, to include 404 combat hours. During his European staff tour, he was selected to be a part of the Air Component Coordination Element as the Combat Air Forces Liaison Officer working with the Joint Task Force for Operation Odyssey Dawn.
1996 Bachelor of Science, General Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2003 U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, F-16 Division, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Master of Business Administration and Management in Finance, Touro University International, Nev., by correspondence
2010 Master of Science, Operational Analysis, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2017 Phase II, Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2018 National Defense Fellow, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, D.C.
2021 Leading Strategically, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. January 1997–February 1998, Student Pilot, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. February 1998–May 1998, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, 49th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. May 1998–November1998, F-16 Student Pilot, F-16 Initial Qualification Training, 308th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. November 1998–January 1999, F-16 Student, NVG/MANTIRN Course, 310th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. January 1999–January 2000, F-16CG Wingmen, Assistant Weapons Officer, 36th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
6. January 2000–January 2001, F-16CG Wingmen, Assistant Standardization and Evaluation Officer, 421st Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
7. January 2001–October 2001, F-16CG Flight Lead, Mission Commander, Wing Air/Ground Weapons Officer, 388th Operations Support Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
8. October 2001–December 2002, F-16CG Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Noble Eagle Detachment CC, 421st Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
9. January 2003–July 2003, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, 16th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. July 2003–May 2006, F-16CJ Chief of Weapons, Flight Evaluator, Flight Commander, 23rd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
11. May 2006–April 2007, F-16CJ Chief of Weapons, Assistant Director of Operations, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
12. April 2007–December 2007, F-16 Operational Test Instructor Pilot, 422nd Test & Evaluation Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
13. December 2007–May 2009, F-16 Operational Test Instructor Pilot, Division Commander, 59th Test & Evaluation Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
14. May 2009–July 2010, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. July 2010–August 2012, Chief, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Operations and Training Branch, Ramstein AB, Germany
16. September 2012–April 2013, F-16CJ Instructor Pilot, Chief of Safety, Shaw AFB, S.C.
17. April 2013–January 2014, Commander, 451st Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Kandahar AB, Afghanistan
18. January 2014–April 2014, Deputy Director of Operations, U.S. Air Forces Central/A3 (Forward), Al Udeid AB, Qatar
19. August 2014–June 2017, Chief, Air & Sea Branch, J-8, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
20. June 2017–July 2018, National Defense Fellow, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, D.C.
21. July 2018–June 2020, Vice Commander, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
22. July 2020–June 2022, Commander, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa AB, Japan
23. July 2022–present, Deputy Commander, Fifth Air Force, Yokota AB, Japan
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2014–June 2017 Chief, Air & Sea Branch, J-8, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,600
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38 and F-16 Blk 25/30/40/42/50/52
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Medal with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1996
First Lieutenant May 29, 1998
Captain May 29, 2000
Major April 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2011
Colonel Aug. 1, 2017
Brigadier General Frocked
(Current as of July 2022)