Lt. Gen. Kevin B. Schneider is the Commander, U.S. Forces Japan, and Commander, 5th Air Force, Pacific Air Forces, Yokota Air Base, Japan and is the senior U.S. military representative in Japan. He is responsible for managing bilateral security issues, overseeing joint/bilateral exercises, administering the Status of Forces Agreement, improving combat readiness, and enhancing the quality of life of 62,000 military and Department of Defense civilian personnel and 42,000 dependents.
General Schneider earned his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1988. He is a graduate of the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Program and the U.S. Air Force Weapons School. He has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels to include a combat wing in the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility. His staff assignments include tours on the Joint Staff, Air Staff, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, and Pacific Air Forces. The general is a command pilot with more than 3,800 flight hours in the F-15E, F-16, and T-38—including 530 combat hours flown during Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
1988 Bachelor of Science degree in engineering science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1996 U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
2005 Master’s degree in national security and strategic studies, U.S. Marine Corps War College, Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.
1. August 1988 - September 1989, student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, 88th Flying Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. March 1990 - September 1990, student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, 72nd Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
3. November 1990 - November 1993, F-16 instructor pilot, 36th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
4. November 1993 - December 1995, F-16 instructor pilot, Wing Weapons Flight Commander, 432nd Operations Support Squadron, then Assistant Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 13th Fighter Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
5. January 1996 - June 1996, student, U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, F-16 Division, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. June 1996 - May 1998, squadron weapons officer and Chief, Weapons and Tactics, and flight commander, 78th Fighter Squadron, and 55th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
7. June 1998 - May 2000, F-16 instructor weapons officer, Chief, Special Projects, and assistant operations officer, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. May 2000 - October 2001, aide-de-camp to the Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
9. January 2002 - July 2003, chief, 52nd Fighter Wing Weapons and Tactics, then operations officer, 23rd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany.
10. August 2003 - July 2004, Commander, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, South Korea
11. August 2004 - June 2005, Student, Marine Corps War College, MCB Quantico, Va.
12. June 2005 - May 2007, Action Officer for Western Europe & the Balkans and Eastern Europe and Eurasia Branches, then executive assistant to the Deputy Director for Politico-Military Affairs for Europe/NATO/Russia/Africa, J-5, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. June 2007 - December 2007, senior Deputy Commander, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
14. January 2008 - July 2009, Vice Commander, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
15. July 2009 - June 2011, Commander, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
16. July 2011 - June 2013, Director, Air Force General Officer Management, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
17. June 2013 - June 2014, Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
18. July 2014 - May 2015, assistant Deputy Commander, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, and assistant Vice Commander, 9th Air Expeditionary Task Force, Shaw AFB, S.C.
19. May 2015 - July 2016, Chief of Staff, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
20. July 2016 – February 2019, Chief of Staff, Headquarters United States Indo-Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii
21. February 2019-present, Commander, United States Forces Japan, and Commander, 5th Air Force, Yokota AB, Japan.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2005 - December 2006, Action Officer for Western Europe & the Balkans and Eastern Europe and Eurasia Branches, then Executive Assistant to the Deputy Director for Politico-Military Affairs for Europe/NATO/Russia/Africa, J-5, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel.
2. July 2016 – January 2019, Chief of Staff, Headquarters United States Indo-Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii, as a major general
3. February 2019 – present, Commander, United States Forces Japan, Yokota AB, Japan, as a lieutenant general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,800 with more than 530 combat hours
Aircraft flown: F-16, F-15E, T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1988
First Lieutenant June 1, 1990
Captain June 1, 1992
Major August 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel February 1, 2003
Colonel September 1, 2007
Brigadier General June 2, 2013
Major General November 2, 2015
Lieutenant General February 5, 2019
(Current as of 5 February 2019)